Student who have earned a scholarship from a U.S. university: ‘I owe my success to Baku Higher Oil School’
Sanan Hasanov is a 5th year student of the Process Automation Engineering Department of Baku Higher Oil School (BHOS). He entered BHOS in 2017 with 685 points. Sanan has been awarded a full PhD scholarship by a U.S. university, even though he has not done a Master's degree. He will study at the University of Central Florida in the direction "Cybersecurity" of the Computer Science specialty. The BHOS student was awarded a $125,000 scholarship from this university. Apart from the University of Central Florida, Sanan received offers from the Ohio State University, the Washington State University, and the University of Texas at Arlington. He works as a Penetration Tester at the company Azerconnect and cooperates with the Ukrainian company Eska Global on a contract basis.
- Sanan, what role did your education at Baku Higher Oil School play in your success?
- The education I received at Baku Higher Oil School fully meets the demands of the time. Here teachers do not teach us how to use some outdated technologies, they teach us to handle the most advanced technologies in the world. This allowed me to successfully complete the assignments given to me by professors during the interview. In addition, thanks to the initial research skills I gained at BHOS, I was able to complete and submit a project-type assignment in a short period of time. Therefore, I owe my success to BHOS teachers.
- Why did you decide to study in the United States?
- U.S. universities are at the forefront of world rankings. The United States is also a world leader in cybersecurity: the field in which I will continue my education. The opportunity to receive education here and then to work as a cybersecurity researcher in a reputable company was among the reasons that motivated me to study in the United States. In addition, such conferences as "Black Hat USA", "DEF CON", "USENIX Security", which suit my interests, are held here every year. All of these factors led me to decide to continue my education in the United States.
- In what social activities have you been engaged at Baku Higher Oil School? What have these activities brought you?
- For more than 2 years, I was Chairman of the Cinema Club of Baku Higher Oil School. The team of Cinema Club organised movie sessions on a weekly basis to help fresh students develop their English language skills, as well as to help other students productively spend their free time. I also organized competitions at the Intellectual Games Club and participated in them. All this played a role in my formation as an individual and allowed me to make new friends.
- By what criteria did you choose the US university?
- My main priorities in choosing a university were whether the research conducted at it was in line with my interests and the success achieved by the university in the field of cyber security. The University of Central Florida has achieved great success in this area, and it has sufficient resources to support cybersecurity research.